SPI Site Spotlight Reports
SPI announces the unveiling of a new publication, “Site Spotlights.” These spotlights will highlight the research, methodologies, and outcomes of sites from the perspective of both researchers and police officers.
- Boston, MA Site Spotlight (Phase I): The Boston team evaluated the impacts of their Safe Street Team (SST) strategy. The SSTs applied problem-oriented, community-policing strategies to identify and address recurring problems in their target areas (disadvantaged, minority neighborhoods).
- Glendale, AZ Site Spotlight (Phase I): The Glendale team addressed thefts at Circle K™ convenience stores using a problem-solving model. This publication reviews the research methodology employed, policing strategies implemented, research and implementation outcomes, and lessons learned.
- Los Angeles, CA Site Spotlight: The Los Angeles team sought to reduce gun-related violence in specific neighborhoods in the city of Los Angeles, through application of the SARA problem-solving model—Scanning, Analysis, Response, and Assessment.
- Palm Beach County, FL Program Profile: The Palm Beach County team sought to address this robbery problem, as well as the challenges surrounding policing immigrant communities more generally, through their Smart Policing Initiative (SPI). The PBSO SPI included targeted efforts to increase police legitimacy, to improve residents’ awareness of their victimization risk, and to empower residents to embrace crime prevention in their community.
- Reno, Nevada Program Profile: The foundation of the Reno SPI involves a collaborative partnership between the Reno Police Department, its research partner, and key stakeholders—including non-profit coalitions (e.g., a local substance abuse coalition called Join Together Northern Nevada), pharmacies, physicians, other healthcare professionals, school district personnel, and parents and their children.